Well...last night I had another one of those moments. Imagine us hanging out with friends at a bar down on 6th street. We were watching a really fun 80's cover band, The Spazmatics.
Well, it started to rain & the band meandered around the crowd waiting for the rain to subside. We ended up talking to the guitarist when the lead singer came over to ask him if they should start to play again. I kindly suggested that they needed to play more. The guitarist looked at me straight in the eye and said, "OK, Mom! Yes, ma'am!" The words kept ringing in my head...OK, mom. Yes, ma'am. OK, mom. Yes, ma'am. (Yes, all while Stephen is snickering.)In the end, I am very, very happy to be viewed as a Mom. A Mom that has a lot of fun & still enjoys going out to bars to listen to 80's cover bands. In fact, I am pretty proud to know all of the songs by heart and be able to reminisce recording (speaker to speaker) the songs off Casey Kasem's radio show. As an added bonus, I have a handsome husband who not only knows the words to the songs but the artists as well (quite a feat-there are a lot of "one hit wonders" from the 80's) and the date aired on MTV (back when MTV actually played music videos).
Can all of us "30-something", "ma'ams & sirs", "Moms & Dads" hold hands now & belt out the lyrics to Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun"?
OK, I want a head-to-head 80's songs trivia contest with Steve one day. I need two beers first though. Our kids do not realize how totally cool parents we really are...
ReplyDeleteOh, and another thing. The thing that made me decide Craig was for me was when he turned off the cheesy music at a party and put on "Add It Up" by the Femmes. I was hooked. And I used to tape Kasey Kasem too!!!!
ReplyDelete