Stephen & I have also been busy in the past month-imagine that! After attending the Rethinking Education Conference together, we have been "editing" our parenting style, figuring out what works for us, taking two steps back into old parenting techniques, trying something new, etc. We are really working well together and are making some big moves in implementing some parenting techniques that we both believe are "right" for our family.
That said, we have had some good quality time together. We spent 3 days/2 nights enjoying the sights and sounds of the annual Austin City Limits Music Festival. It was so fun! Just a few of the acts we saw: Gnarls Barkley, Thievery Corporation, G Love, The Raconteurs, and Damian Marley. This year was a little different than last because we weren't really interested in the headlining shows & we also took on some alter egos on the second day of the festival.
Meet Lavonda & Rocko

Meet Lavonda & Rocko

We also went to the movies one night to see Little Miss Sunshine-highly, highly recommended!!

Stephen was really excited to get back to work after our month long extravaganza. He has been an assistant instructor for the newest fire academy and finds that he really enjoys teaching. He gets to see a lot of the instructors, team leaders and colleagues from when he went through the academy, too. He also had a very unique and rare "situation" on shift. His station was called to backup on a structure fire when a firefighter had a heart attack. I'm not sure about the specifics, but Stephen eventually "shocked" him back to life. Needless to say, this was a big deal to Stephen, but I think he can be proud that he did everything correctly and was able to save a fellow firefighters life. The guy is doing well now and will eventually be able to fight fires again soon.
Stephen is the guy at the right/back kneeling down. You can see the back of his head/neck.
Stephen is the guy at the right/back kneeling down. You can see the back of his head/neck.On a not so thrilling side of life, I have gotten through another Mommy & Me Consignment Sale (I sold $1900 of merchandise) and community yard sale (a $265 weekend). I wanted to buy Stephen a new tri bike with all of the profits, and he has finally agreed due to the fact that I sold his bike (my dad's road bike from 20 years ago) in the yard sale :-) Joanna & I have also experienced the Studio Kitchens where 12 meals are prepared for you and you just put them together. We have now adopted our own meal exchange schedule where once or twice each week, we prepare double servings of a meal and/or snacks. We then switch meals/snacks on the following day. This supplies us with about 4 fresh, healthy meals/snacks each week while each of us only actually made 2 meals/snacks. It has really encouraged us to make healthy meals and takes a lot of the work out of planning & cooking. We have also joined the new 24 hour Fitness down the street from me and are figuring out our new workout schedule. I am also walking in the Race for the Cure on November 4th. We put together a Mommy & Me team to support our wonderful Mommy & Me "General". She was diagnosed with breast cancer this year and has had a mastectomy and chemotherapy. Please visit my website (http://www.komenaustin.org/site/TR?px=1281561&pg=personal&fr_id=1040&s_tafId=4652) if you would like to donate money to this wonderful cause. I also bought a new bike frame off e-bay and Dan helped me build it up. I ended up with a VERY nice bike for an unheard of price.

We also had a Grandmum Char visit us from New Mexico. It was nice to see her again so soon, and better yet-she may move to Texas!! We had an excellent visit with her and look forward to her living closer to us.
Grandmum Char is a wonderful cook!

Grandmum Char is a wonderful cook!

Also, if anyone is looking for a chiropractor in Barcelona, Spain, I have an excellent recommendation. Yes! Dr. Boyce Kinnison (still can't get over Boyce becoming a doctor) has opened his own clinic in Barcelona, Spain. We talked to him last week on Skype, and he is a little bit delirious. He said he has been walking the streets of Barcelona carrying a spine, asking people if they have a chiropractor. I am positive he will be successful and am sooooo proud of him!
Boyce's Logo
Boyce's LogoSo, that's it! I am finally caught up on my blog (quick pat on the back)! Until next time....

No comments:
Post a Comment