Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Choose Love

Ever since my 9 year old was little, he has had a tendency to get really angry and channel his anger through physical actions (biting, hitting, etc.)  For all of these years, I have tried many strategies to help him experience and channel his anger in a safe way, but he continues to hit his sister.

Tonight, after hitting Maya hard in the nose, we had a long talk AGAIN about why hitting is unacceptable, and I once again tried to get him in touch with the angry feeling that prompted him to hit her.  He always seems to give me a blank stare when I talk about the yucky feeling of anger inside of him and is at a loss of how to stop hitting.  Each time I mention that eventually he will end up in jail for hitting other people, he gets REALLY scared.  Tonight, I recognized his fear again and told him that I would do everything I could to protect him from ever going to jail for hurting another person, but that I needed his help.  I told him that it was his choice to live in fear and anger or to live in love.  He cried and cried, saying, "I will, I will, I will choose Love."  He laid in my arms, hugging me until he fell asleep.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet mama you are to teach your child that he CAN choose love. We struggle with anger issues here, too. Mine and Finn's. I'm gonna use "Choose Love" as my mantra today. ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really helpful to read. Going back to that very simple rule...we all have choices...is really what it's all about. Thanks for sharing this, Erica.

    ReplyDelete