Thursday, October 16, 2008

365 Days of Gratitude #23


Today, I am grateful for our beautiful Fall weather!  We had a wonderful hike with our Camp Fire club at McKinney Falls State Park.  After a great knot tying lesson by Dean-O, we hiked a ways with our club, learning about "Staying on the Path," "Staying with the Group," and "Trashing our Trash."  The entire club was present which was also very nice :-)


After the hike and our friends headed home, Samuel, Maya & I continued on hiking down the creek.  Samuel found a "dinosaur or dragon skeleton" in the grotto and Maya led us down her personally discovered trail.  Towards the end of our hike, while I was catching up to the kids,
 Samuel yelled out a warning..."Heads up, a coral snake!"  I asked, "Are you sure?  Red touches yellow?"  Well, sure enough, he had spotted a baby Texas Coral Snake in the brush!  It was beautiful and scary :-)  When we got home, we read that the Texas Coral Snake is 9x as venomous as the rattlesnake-almost as poisonous as a cobra!  What an awesome discovery!  So this is 3 for 3 for spotting a snake during a Camp Fire Hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment