Me and my ladder crew rescued a guy from a burning building! So no shit there I was... I'd just finished breakfast and our tone goes off. We all jump up from the table and pile into our vehicles. I was driving the aerial and I followed the engine out. As we are traveling to the scene we're notified of a "boy trapped in the upstairs bedroom". As 1st-in ladder crew we're in charge of primary search, making sure no one is trapped in the fire building. Now we knew we'd be doing a grab and go. The engine accidently passes the house and follows the smoke down the street. However, I see fire coming out of the eaves of the fire house so we stop and get out. My Capt. and a probie roll out already dressed and head for the house to effect rescue. I jump out and start putting on my turnouts. I finish dressing and as I'm pulling my air pack from the ladder truck I look up to see the engine, hauling ass in reverse, coming right at me. I move out of the way as the engine run into the ladder! It puts a big ole' racing strip in the side and knocks off the cover to our left rear stabilizer, right were I was standing. Cool right? So, now I end up directing the engine to a location they can deploy the rack lines from. I grab the forcible entry tools and head for the house. As I get to the front door I see my guys fall out the entry with a 180 lb man. I drop my tools and grab an arm. The other guys get back up and we get the guy up and onto a stretcher. They got him airlifted to Brook Army Medical Center with third degree burns and inhalation burns. So, we'll see if he lives. Pretty cool to be part of that. Now, go get out your Uncle Steve Firefighter action figures!And...Happy Birthday, Jason!
No comments:
Post a Comment